Tuesday 17 July 2007

Gem Island

"Gem Island (Pulau Gemia) is a privately owned island, about 800 metres off Kapas Island. Gem Island had white sandy beaches, crystal clear water, beautiful corals and fascinating marine life. In another effort to preserve wildlife, one of the beaches on Gem Island is used as a turtle hatchery. Terengganu is renowned as one of the few places where turtles (including the giant Leatherback) come ashore to lay their eggs. On the island the green turtle is the most common. But the Hawksbill and Olive Ridley turtle are regular visitors. After laying, the eggs are collected and transferred by Gem Island staff to an enclosure on the beach. This protects them from marauding predators such as monitor lizards, crabs and seabirds."

http://www.cuti.com.my/Sub/Terengganu/guide_gemisland.htm

4 comments:

FaRHaNa-KuN said...

I've no idea - Pulau Gemia is privately owned! Seems like Gemia have its own beauty, just like other island in Terengganu. Well, that why no more turtles come to Rantau Abang, those turtles get new great place to 'give birth' I guess :D I'm wondering..how many beaches in Gemia actually?

strike in + Nurul Farhana Abdullah OMD50C

Anonymous said...

Hai pappy
I never heard of Gem Island before..I come from Ipoh and all I know about beaches in Terengganu is Rantau Abang and Pantai Batu Burok.Hence I'm studying in uitm Terengganu now..I knew a more about this state than before.Terengganu is such a wonderful place to visit especially to it beaches..Can we make a trip to Gem Island someday..

Anonymous said...

GOOD AFTERNOON...
WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW?I NEVER KNOW ABOUT GEM ISLAND BEFORE THIS.I JUST KNOW ABOUT HENTIAN ISLAND.IT IS BECAUSE MY FAMILY AND I HAVE BEEN THERE WHEN I IN FORM 4 AT 2004.IT SO BEUTIFUL ISLAND..I HOPE PAPPY CAN DO THE TRIP GO TO THE GEM ISLAND..BYE2

Anonymous said...

morning pappy....
how are you today????
i never heard about Gemia Island before this.....but i think it is a wonderful place....i think Gemia island is suitable to make a scuba diving...how many island in terengganu actually????

Suriani Alias
OMD5OC